Sunday

Another Exercise in "How People See"

A question I have been asking for several years and have written about before is "how do people see"?  Not the physiology of vision but what one sees when looking at an image.  Specifically what makes an image appealing.  Below is another exercise in that vein, a sunrise image over the Peloncillo mountains presented right side up and upside down.  While the first image is pleasing with wispy clouds and right angled streamers the flipped image is more visually interesting, at least to me.  The clouds themselves become the center of attention and more depth is created.  While the slight downward angles created by the inverted mountains seem to focus my attention onto the clouds where I perceive the increased depth.  These images were shown in the photography group, Cochise County and its Wonders and received some support, but only 16% found the inverted image interesting, as evidenced by a like.  My only conclusion is that I'm the outlier in the distribution of "seeing" since I find the inverted image more visually pleasing and interesting.

A Peloncillo Mountains sunrise

The same sunrise but inverted

4 comments:

  1. I like the shape of the black squiggle; no added depth for me detected by looking at the cloud. I am an "outlier" or an "outlaw" myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the black squiggle (really the inverted tops of the Peloncillos) does add to the image. Everyone sees it differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like that drawing of the old lady or the young lady depending on what you see.

      Delete
  3. A good analogy Pat, I was naively hoping to gain an understanding, or at least an inkling, of the components of "seeing" to improve my photographs, but still do not have an understanding of how people "see".

    ReplyDelete