Tuesday

The Moon

We just finished experiencing another full moon here at the Painted Pony Resort and I was fortunate to get some usable photographs.  The first is of the rising moon over the Peloncillo mountainss while the second is a sunrise shot of the setting moon  over the Chiricahua mountains.  The little Canon point and shoot I use (Canon SX150) for photography did a good job capturing the moon, though I had to zoom past the mechanical zoom into the digital zoom region to get the automatic exposure correct.  The quality of modern digital camera images continues to amaze me.  Even the new tablet camera images are good, see here.  Unfortunately the tablet had to go in for repair and I'm awaiting its return so I missed trying it out on the full moon.  Hopefully the next full moon will see some tablet camera images.

Full moon rising in the east


Full moon setting in the west

7 comments:

  1. Very nice. We have watched moon rise over the Peloncillos and sometimes get to watch it more than once by walking up or down the driveway and having the angle different as we look towards the mountains. Several people [NOT me!] think the full moon is some Quonset hut on top of the mountain since they had never seen such a bright curved thing before. ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pat. Cool idea to walk down hill along your drive to see multiple moon rises. I will have to remember that when composing a scene with the moon and the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. . . . and it is SO light outside during a full moon
    one July 4th we could not have Border Patrol in our parade as a full moon occurred on July 3 and over 90+ illegals including 18 women and children were caught by Border Patrol and they [BP] had to use every agent possible to process all these people walking through Skeleton Canyon.
    I have not heard of high numbers like that since, but I do remember it was a full moon with it's light that made walkers be out there walking.

    I hesitate to take my dog outside except in winter on a full moon or with a flashlight if NOT a full moon. Snakes will be out at night when it warms up at night.........maybe in another month or two.

    BUT I don't want to "wish my life away". . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the more reason to encourage folks to be out on the landscape, hiking or otherwise enjoying the valley. If the resource is used on a regular basis it deters other uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at the moon cycle!! One week later from the full moon and it's already half gone. In one week, it will be a NEW moon. I want to go to Chaco Culture Nat'l Historic Park in NW NM. We saw a video about the sun dagger. How did those early people know about the sun and the moon cycles with such short life spans? A mystery.

      Delete
  5. Pat, I suspect they passed information down in an oral tradition. It took a year of observations to get the general placement for the calendar rocks I placed marking the solstices. Then to refine the locations I used a computer app. http://bloggingfromthebootheel.blogspot.com/2014/01/marking-time-prehistoric-style-solar.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New moon on today's calendar but I think it will be after midnight. Usually that is a great time to see stars and the Milky Way, but it's raining at the moment! Hope it's enough for some spring flowers!

      Delete